New political alternatives are chaotic and dispiriting
There are dangers in the politics of magical thinking
Irish people believe, or at least a great many of them do, that the old politics has let them down. Wait until they experience the new politics thrown up by the crisis. Certainly there are plenty of critics of how politics is done in Ireland and there is plenty to criticise. Watching snatches of the banking inquiry, for example, highlights why there is such disaffection. However, if the old politics is dispiriting, the new politics coughed up by the crisis is a cause for near despair.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.