Colin Murphy: Why we need to respect the DUP
Respect for democracy, as well as for the peace process, demands that we respect its right to participate in government
There comes a time when every parent is faced with the prospect that they are less mature than their children. For Westminster, the mother of parliaments, that time is now. The media consensus is that Theresa May is terminally wounded, “a dead woman walking”, in the words of her new nemesis, George Osborne. Irish watchers of Westminster should find that phrase particularly telling. Shane Ross described Enda Kenny as a “political corpse” in March 2016, echoing the media consensus at that time; 15 months later, Kenny gracefully stage-managed his own exit from the political stage.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.