Matt Cooper: We need to let go of the 2008 fantasy figures
There was nothing normal about the public sector pay levels of eight years ago - and there’s no point aspiring to them
It seems that Jack O’Connor, boss of Siptu, the country’s largest trade union, wants to bring us back to 2008 – the year in which we all realised things were going terribly wrong in the economy, and when that Fianna Fáil–led government had to begin introducing austerity – and make that the base year for setting new levels of public sector pay.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive