National sovereignty is redundant in the modern world
A sense of ‘sovereignty lost’ pervaded much of the debate here during the troika years. Equated closely in the public mind with our dependence on funding from the IMF, EU and ECB, it’s not surprising that the government and many commentators argued that a key motivation for striving to successfully exit our programme was that ‘sovereignty’ would be restored.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.