Elaine Byrne: My five point plan for political reform
These weeks of uncertainty provide an opportunity for clarity. Don’t stop at Dáil reform.
Political reform is not an altruistic exercise. Reform invariably means giving away some power. Abstract, idealistic principles of selflessness tend not to be the primary motive for change which involves losing political control. Rather, it is the pragmatic response to circumstances and our politicians are talking a lot about it at present.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive