The move to end the ‘baptism barrier’ is a modest proposal
Most schools will notice no change as a result of Richard Bruton’s intervention. So why the fuss?
If it is true that there is indeed “a furious backlash” at proposals from Education Minister Richard Bruton to end the “baptism barrier” to admission to schools under Catholic patronage, it will raise eyebrows for some outside of the education sector. How could such a modest proposal stir such passion?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive