Misjudging Irish relations was May’s dumbest mistake
Putting a border solution on the long finger has left the British prime minister with a mountain to climb
‘Don’t worry Paddy, we’ll get to you.” This was essentially the message in Theresa May’s first big speech on Brexit back in January 2017. Amid the pomp of Lancaster House, a Georgian mansion in central London that doubles as Buckingham Palace in the Netflix series The Crown, the British prime minister airily promised to deliver a “practical solution” on the Irish border “as soon as we can”.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive