Mind the gap between the Brexit ‘backstop’ and our national interest
The EU is not prioritising the border for Ireland’s benefit. It is using the country to play a high-stakes game of bluff
EU negotiator Michel Barnier was crystal clear in his address to the conference on Brexit in Dundalk last Monday: “The backstop is needed in order to respect the integrity of the single market and the EU’s customs union.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive