Michael McDowell: It will take a crowbar to get Enda out of office
But his Fine Gael pretenders are only carrying feather duster
On St Patrick’s Day, 1931, Stanley Baldwin, then the British prime minister, speaking in the closing days of a vital by-election campaign, rounded on the press barons, Lords Rothermere and Beaverbrook, who were using their power in an attempt to topple him, and coined the memorable phrase to describe their bullying role:
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive