Michael McDowell: Britain’s departure from the EU seems a fait accompli
But it still might yet be averted
Apparently, nobody, but nobody, is willing to publicly contemplate a re-running of the Brexit referendum in the same way that the referendums on the Nice and Lisbon treaties were re-run in Ireland. As of now, the idea is toxic. And no contender for political high office is willing even to mention such a possibility.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive