McDonald can no longer defend the indefensible
Sinn Féin’s new leader has a chance to make a decisive break with the past. However, she may choose not to take it
Following the general election in 2007, Sinn Féin returned to Leinster House having lost one of its five seats. The outcome was a surprise, not least to the Sinn Féin leadership. The disappointment was compounded in 2009 when, after an indifferent performance in the local elections, the party’s rising star in Dublin, Mary Lou McDonald, lost her seat in the European Parliament.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive