May's Brexit sticking plaster will be pulled apart
Not only can Theresa May not morph into Gareth Southgate; she can’t even shelter under the glow of his World Cup trophy
Maybe Gareth Southgate should take over the Brexit negotiations. His tenure as England football manager has been remarkable for his capacity to become a leader without verbosity. He managed to banish the bitterness that dogged English international football for many years and crafted a team from a bunch of players that could never rely on an individual star player. The players pulled and played together for a manager who genuinely appears to have little interest in his own image and who smiled more often in five weeks than the last five managers put together.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive