Maybe a general election is best outcome
This type of government can’t tackle any of the big strategic challenges facing our country
‘There’s so many cans down the end of this road that we’ll need a recycling plant to deal with them all,” was the resigned summary of Labour’s Jan O’Sullivan. The former education minister was commenting after another day’s contortions at the water committee. After pre-occupying the best brains in Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil for the lion’s share of the time it took to put the present government together, backbenchers again fear that water could precipitate a general election.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.