Matt Cooper: Subsidising rural pub life is only a sticking plaster
If rural drinking effectively needs to be given special treatment, it says much about us as a society
It doesn’t moderate the national stereotype of Ireland as a nation of drinkers when the negotiations to form a new government include proposals for tax incentives and subsidies for some of the owners of the public houses in which we do some of our drinking.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive