Mary Lou must smash Sinn Féin’s glass ceiling
As the party moves further from its past and closer to the establishment, will its appeal diminish?
George Orwell once remarked that those who control the past also control the future. It’s a remark that Sinn Féin should, at this time, be interested in. Mary Lou McDonald will take over as leader, replacing Gerry Adams in a few weeks. It’s a reflection of how the party is run that even though nominations have not yet closed, we know the result. Party discipline or party demagoguery?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.