Make culprits pay
Fines for corporate wrongdoing don’t work. Punishing individual actions will
The response to corporate misbehaviour by car manufacturers, financial institutions, or developers has been to issue large fines. Accountability is given a financial value which means little to corporate entities which see it as simply a cost of doing business. As a consequence, the behaviour repeats itself over and over again. This is exactly what has happened in relation to the recent scandals involving Volkswagen, Irish banks and Longboat Quay.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.