Looking beyond black gold
Commentators and conspiracy theorists are hyperventilating over falling oil prices, but they need to see the bigger picture
Oil prices are falling from near historic highs. Last month alone prices fell almost 40 per cent. At the start of this year Brent Oil was over $100 a barrel. Today it’s closer to $65, with some analysts predicting further falls to $40 a barrel. This limit is very close to at-cost production levels for many countries, particularly those with deep well systems and offshore delivery platforms.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive