Brian Keegan: A long goodbye to the USC is upon us
Paschal Donohoe’s announcement of the USC merger with PRSI is putting the cost cart before the entitlements horse
So it seems that the universal social charge is not to be abolished after all. Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe stated in the Dáil last week that his long-term view of the USC is to see its integration into the existing PRSI code. The comments were met with predictable political attacks, mostly focusing on previous government undertakings to abolish the USC altogether. Nevertheless, Donohoe’s views reflect the original idea behind the USC when it was first introduced.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive