Our local government sham is leading to the ad hoc development of Dublin
What we really need is one elected mayor to take responsibility for the future of the capital
Instead of tabling a motion of no confidence in the housing minister, the members of Dáil Éireann would be far better employed establishing a forum on the future of Dublin – a forum which would consider how the city and neighbouring counties are to be governed in future, a forum which would look at the likely growth prospects for Dublin and would ask itself a fundamental question: namely whether we can trust market forces and serendipity to shape the future of Ireland’s capital.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive