It’s cruel to mislead people on abortion
Clare Daly’s bill wasn’t blocked by Labour: it was blocked by the Constitution
On occasion, politics and media, sometimes unwittingly, conspire to cruelly mislead sections of the public. Clare Daly’s Protection of Life in Pregnancy (Amendment) (Fatal Foetal Abnormalities) Bill 2013 is a case in point. The belief abroad among swathes of the public is that her private member’s bill did not become law last Tuesday because the Labour Party didn’t support it. It is a tribute to the author’s considerable public relations skills that the Labour Party is held to be responsible for arresting the bill’s progress. The message is not that the government is to blame, or that Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil or Sinn Féin are to blame. The message is clear: Labour is to blame.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive