It is folly to leave judicial appointments in the hands of lay people
Hard to see why we should change the system to have experts chosen by the inexpert
There is something wrong and ridiculous about the apparent paralysis at government level in relation to the appointment of new judges. Sources close to Minister Shane Ross are informing the media that he has an “absolute” agreement and a “cast-iron” undertaking that no new judges will be appointed unless and until the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board (JAAB) is replaced by a Judicial Appointments Commission.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive