SBP editorial: ‘Irish welcome’ of immigrants must begin at home
The St Patrick’s Day visit of Ireland’s taoisigh to the White House has always been tinged with political tension. The Irish political establishment has always tried to pass it off as a non-political event, a celebration of Irish culture, while at the same time using the direct contact with the US president to carve a deal – in short, preferential treatment - for illegal Irish immigrants: all in the name of Ireland’s most famous immigrant, St Patrick.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive