An Irish compromise on the backstop would soften Brexit
Our schadenfreude and our unyielding policy on the border risk scuppering a soft Brexit
A hundred years ago today, the Irish Times reported the killing of Martin O’Brien of the Royal Irish Constabulary in a raid by “some twenty or thirty men” to free a hunger-striking IRA prisoner, Robert Byrne, in Limerick. Byrne was also shot during the escape, and later died.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.