SBP editorial: Why the Irish banks need to start paying tax
The banks and the brokers exhaled a collective sigh of relief last week when the Minister for Finance pledged to retain lenders’ ability to use accumulated losses built up during the financial crisis to pay no corporation tax over the long term. Shares in AIB and Bank of Ireland rose steadily following Paschal Donohoe’s comments, while Davy Stockbrokers upgraded AIB’s shares to outperform and added Bank of Ireland to its “conviction list” of stock picks.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.