Has Ireland gone mad?
The German philosopher Max Weber distinguishes between three types of legitimacy. The traditional sense where citizens trust in a political system because it has been there for a long time. Charismatic legitimacy is faith in the rulers. Finally, there is trust in a system’s legality and the rationality of the rule of law. If the legitimacy of a democratic system is based on the willingness of its citizens to comply with those tasked with the exercise of authority, where does Ireland now lie?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive