Hard lessons from Rwanda, 25 years on
Charity is not enough: Ireland must maintain the capacity to intervene in events as terrible as the 1994 Rwandan genocide
The Irish famine killed a million people in a country of eight million; another million emigrated. The Rwandan genocide also killed almost a million people in a country of eight million; in its wake, two million fled. Both holocausts, of comparable scale, defy comprehension. But they reward study.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.