Government can fold up its tent if Independents stick to their opposition causes
What case can be made for the conduct of the independents?
Play-acting has done serious damage to an already rickety minority government. It is just possible that the Independent Alliance did not anticipate how its actions would contribute to undermining the government of which it is a part. But it has done precisely that. The spurning of collective cabinet responsibility has also provided the pretext for disgruntled Fine Gael backbenchers to break cover and move against the Taoiseach.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive