Matt Cooper: Getting a handle on social media
The Jobstown online campaign shows the possible impact social media can have on the administration of justice
It turned out that the hashtag #JobstownNotGuilty was accurate, at least for the six men cleared last Thursday of the false imprisonment of former tánaiste Joan Burton and her assistant Karen O’Connell in November 2014. The hashtag has been highly prominent on social media for nearly two years, as it was pushed not just by supporters of the accused (and subsequently acquitted) men but by the defendants themselves.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive