Germany was reunited within the EU. Why not Ireland?
In an EU context, a united Ireland is imaginable – we just need to look to the fall of the Berlin Wall
College Green is the busiest pedestrian junction in Ireland. Thousands of people walk past the building with bricked in windows everyday and never notice the indentations where the windows ought to be. The 1730s Window Tax motivated the builders of this first purpose-built parliament in the world to construct the edifice without any glazing. The revolutionary design of the Irish House of Commons, now the Bank of Ireland, was the inspiration for Capitol Hill, the home of the United States Congress, built some 50 years later.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive