Garda crime statistics cannot be based on guesswork and hope
What other errors are creeping into Garda figures?
‘If you can talk brilliantly about a problem, it can create the consoling illusion that it has been mastered.” The American movie director Stanley Kubrick was not referring to Garda crime statistics, but how he used the cinematography devices of mirages and optical illusions to create fantasy movies.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.