Financial Transaction Tax is payback time for banks
Post-Brexit, the FTT is a moral imperative that would net millions for the state
First proposed by the EU in 2011, the Financial Transaction Tax (FTT) is a proposed levy that financial services would have to pay when they buy financial instruments. It operates in the same way as property taxes. When a transfer of ownership occurs, a duty must be paid to the state.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.