Fianna Fáil shaken by Kenny’s grand gesture
Fianna Fáil must decide whether to make the jump into government
Spare a thought for the independents. After more than two weeks of tutorials by Simon Coveney, their heads are wrecked. In our traditional winner-takes-all system, independents have never had to think about politics beyond getting elected to Dáil Éireann. Delivering on policy implementation, producing workable solutions to difficult problems or thinking more generally about governance did not trouble independents. Fiscal space, if not a matter for risibility, was a matter they could safely leave to the parties to struggle with.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.