Who fears to speak of Irexit?
As we face the grim prospect of our position in a post-Brexit Europe, would we be better off getting out too?
There are straws in the wind, significant ones I think. Take this past week. First, almost as a throw away remark, Gay Byrne suggested that if Britain did finally exit Europe, then we in Ireland should follow. Byrne would never claim to be a political scientist but, as he proved many times across his broadcasting career, he has a sharp instinct for middle Ireland’s opinion. No better man to wet his finger and test where the wind is blowing.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive