James McDermott: Fans could make a play for League of Ireland clubs
With Irish clubs unable to compete with the English Premier League, maybe fans could do a better job of running the show
When asked why he went to UCD football games the comedian Dermot Morgan replied: “Because I hate crowds.” I thought of the late Father Ted star’s words this week when low attendances became the key issue in what has become the most bizarre story of the Irish sporting summer to date.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive