Europe’s Identitarians march in step with the AfD
Is the success of the right-wing German party and its supporters a warning from history, or a premonition of the future?
I reported from East Germany in 1989 in the final months before the Berlin Wall came down and Germany was reunified. It was an eye-opener. To travel from West to East in Berlin at that time was like travelling from the 1980s back to 1950s. Their attitudes, their clothes, their dental work . . . East Berliners were distant and seemed occupied and moody.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.