Elaine Byrne: Why can’t the new parties make the breakthrough?
What do we want? A new political party! When do we want it? Now! That’s been the refrain in Irish public life since the troika joined our government in 2010. It was assumed that the answer to the failure of establishment politics was the establishment of new political parties.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.