Elaine Byrne: What is Michael D Higgins’s presidency for?
Compared to his two predecessors, there appears to be little purpose Michael D's appointment
With four years of a seven-year term almost served, future historians are likely to struggle to identify what impact Michael D Higgins hasmade as President. No one is allowed say this out loud. Michael D, as he is affectionately known, is a nice man. His popularity is measured by his 1,007,104 votes received on the last count of the 2011 Presidential election, making him Ireland’s first ever ‘political millionaire’.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive