Elaine Byrne: Minority rule - get used to it
Elections are no longer a competition among centre parties
Fianna Fáil’s strategic objective from the outset of the campaign was to put the option of a minority government firmly on the table. The party’s preparations for this eventuality were evident last Monday when it set the agenda early for talks by publishing a detailed shopping list of political reforms. Fianna Fáil had wised up to the changing electoral landscape in Europe.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive