Elaine Byrne: Election outcome could put ball in president’s court
Article 27 was designed for deadlocks between both houses of the Oireachtas
The Oireachtas arithmetic after the next election could well see President Michael D Higgins using a constitutional provision that has never been employed before.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.