Dunkirk and the myths that still rule Britannia
How much did Britain’s belief that it stood alone in World War II influence its decision to retreat from the EU?
It’s fascinating these days to observe our nearest neighbour. In fact, I suspect most of Europe is equally fascinated. Despite many deeply worrying signals, the Brexiteers remain resolute, seemingly untroubled. I wonder how much of the stiff upper-lip is down to the emotional pull of that old mythical role of Britannia standing alone and defiant in the 1940s.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.