The Donald, the dollar and 'Exorbitant Privilege'
Trump's presidency could undermine the dollar's position at the heart of the global monetary system, writes John Looby
In the wake of Allied victory, the United States dominated the global economy. The Soviet Union may have been a credible military and geo-political rival in 1945, but there was only one economic superpower. With much of Europe and Asia in physical and financial ruin, the US was the de facto industrial engine and credit provider to a devastated world.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive