Demonising the state threatens the state itself
Irish culture historically has been marked by an alienation from the state, rooted in the colonial experience.
The Abbey Theatre recently gave its auditorium over to what it called an “assembly” to shine a light on the deportation system. One of the participants was a young Pakistani nurse named Vekash Khokhar, who had sought and been refused asylum in Ireland. Khokhar danced on the Abbey stage in the afternoon, and then he went to the airport and took a flight to Pakistan, in obedience with a deportation order.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.