Matt Cooper: A delicate balancing act
By virtue of his position, Varadkar may find the attention on his personal life more than he might find appropriate
The foreign media’s main interest in our incoming taoiseach is prompted by the two things that have been spoken about least during the campaign to become Fine Gael leader: that he is gay and the son of an immigrant.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.