Deifying TK Whitaker does a big disservice to his successors
Whitaker has been lauded for his role at the Department of Finance, but he divides opinion among other secretaries general
The tributes last week on the passing of Ireland’s “man of the century” were heartfelt and uniform. The architect of modern Ireland and national treasure were the oft-repeated phrases when reference was made to the former secretary at the Department of Finance. But do secretaries general at Irish government departments share these views about TK Whitaker?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive