Casey’s role in freeing Ireland from ecclesiastical grip
Irish citizens under 40 don’t really know how suffocatingly oppressive had been the control exercised by the Catholic Church
The British politician and prodigious author Roy Hattersley, in his new book The Catholics, traces the history of Catholicism in Britain and Ireland from the Reformation to modern times. In it he reveals that he is the son of a Catholic priest, something he only discovered after his father’s funeral when he learned that, after presiding at a wedding in the local village, his father had eloped with the bride a few weeks later. The news came as something of a shock.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.