By calling on Tory MPs to vote down her own deal, Theresa May has shown her word cannot be trusted by the EU or by Ireland
The unstated plan of the hardline Brexiteers is to use the threat of a no-deal Brexit as leverage in a hoped for negotiation with the EU in which, they hope, Britain will end up with a tariff-free free trade deal with the EU, access to the single market and the unfettered right to conclude free trade deals with third countries outside the EU’s common external tariff barrier.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive