Why burka bans are a mark of panic and weakness
Liberals won’t be able to wash the issue away, or simply dismiss the other side as racists
When Denmark’s burka ban came into effect on August 1, newspaper editors all over Europe gave a sigh of relief: during the barren days of August, what better to generate copy than a febrile clash-of-civilisations story?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive