Brexiteers are blind to the threats to peace
John Major’s warning of the ‘wild men on the fringes’ is a stark reminder to Westminster
There was another British prime minister involved with Irish matters last week, one who showed real courage in the past. He took massive political risks to establish the foundations for the peace process and he was also one who had a political life scarred by Brexiteers. John Major came to Ireland last week to deliver the inaugural Albert Reynolds Memorial Lecture in Longford. It’s worth remembering that in the run up to the 2016 referendum, Major joined forces with Tony Blair to come to the North and argue for a Remain vote.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive