Boris Johnson fancies himself the hard man of British politics; he’s more like the Captain Mainwaring
Johnson's leaked speech from the Conservative Way Forward function told us what we probably suspected all along
In the age of mobile phones which can so quickly be turned into covert recorders, the very idea of the Chatham House rule (the convention that a speaker at an event may not be quoted for what is intended to be off-the-record discourse) is somewhat suspect at best, and extremely dangerous at worst. As Boris Johnson found out all for himself last week, when he spoke at the Conservative Way Forward function.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive