Becoming an island behind a problem
The civic dialogue on Brexit in the Royal Hospital last week was all-island, but not all-encompassing
Confusion bedevils the Brexit process, not necessarily because of a lack of effort on the part of anyone involved, but because a major nation like Britain leaving the EU is totally unprecedented. No-one really knows what will happen, or how the process might work out. Comparisons have been drawn with Greenland leaving the EU some time ago but Greenland’s departure from the EU does not offer much precedent value compared to the impact of the second largest economy in the European Union leaving the trading bloc. We have seen East Germany joining outside of the usual accession mechanism via German reunification.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.